How Counseling Works
The Nebraska Gamblers Assistance Program (GAP) supervises and oversees the state funding for problem gambling care by training and certifying trained problem gambling counselors, and funds counseling sessions for Nebraskans with a gambling problem and their family members.
- Call 1-833-BetOver (238-6837) 24/7/365 and talk with a professional who can direct you to a trained counselor of your choice.
- Go to Counseling Services on the website, and phone or email a counselor of your choice directly. Please inquire about problem gambling through telehealth when you schedule your visit.
- Our trained counselors will help you and your family step-by-step work through solutions to your gambling problem so that you can get your life back.
- Counseling for a gambling addiction centers on your goals. Counseling begins at your starting point. Most clients feel hope and their life return as they begin to understand the impact gambling had on their lives.
- Nebraskans who got professional help for their gambling addiction report a significant increase in the quality of their lives. Their living situation got better. Their gambling severity lowered. Their employment got better. The frequency of their gambling, their work days missed and their gambling debt all went way down.
Why counseling for a gambling problem in Nebraska is paid for – (it’s always confidential)
- Nebraska law directs that a percentage of the proceeds from the Nebraska Lottery, and a few other sources, pay for gambling help.
- Lottery “proceeds” to the State of Nebraska are really the profits from the losses gamblers incur when betting on the Lottery or other approved forms of gambling in Nebraska.
- In a sense, Nebraskans who gamble in Nebraska have pre-paid for help with a gambling problem if, and when, they need it.
- Financial trouble is usually the primary reason Nebraskans seek help for a gambling problem.
- For Nebraskans and their families, there is no limit to free individual and group counseling sessions.
- Counseling sessions can be in person or remotely, from the comfort of your living room or office on your computer or mobile device on a secure server.
The mission of the Nebraska Gamblers Assistance Program is to counter the negative impact of gambling addiction with effective, evidence-based prevention and treatment services for Nebraskans and their families.
If You Need Help
If you, or someone you care about, is experiencing real trouble with gambling, the Nebraska Gamblers Assistance Program (GAP) pays for problem gambling counseling. GAP trains and certifies problem gambling counselors to treat Nebraskans and their families who suffer a gambling disorder.